Pages

Bloglovin'

Followers

Total Page views

Saturday, October 30, 2021

Spotlight Saturday: Danielle Hill

Welcome to Kira Adams' Spotlight Saturday! Every week I will be featuring a different author in the industry. Indie, trad, small press, etc. The point is to help get the word out about new-to-you authors and books they are releasing. Maybe you will find your next favorite author. Maybe you will find a story that will touch your soul. Whatever the case may be, thank you for being here.

This weeks feature is Danielle Hill!

There will be corresponding posts on my Facebook page, my Instagram page, in the group, and here on my blog!




1. What inspired you to write Untouchable?

 I've had story ideas for as long as I can remember, and I'd often jot them down in a notebook or on my phone with little intention of doing anything with them. As much as I loved writing, the idea of getting published always seemed near impossible.

 

It wasn't until I went on maternity leave after having my son in 2016 that I realised self-publishing was a legitimate possibility. With that in mind, I took a story idea I couldn't get out of my head and ran with it. It eventually became my debut novel.

 

After many drafts and revisions and traversing a super steep learning curve (which I'm still on!) I finally accomplished a lifelong dream and published Untouchable in October 2020.


2. How long have you been writing?

 I've adored reading and writing for as long as I can remember and a part of me always loved the idea of being an author. At sixteen I wrote my first novel after being inspired by a Point Horror book (thankfully, it never saw the light of day! Haha)

 

I then went on to study English Lit at University, and wrote a ton of essays, short stories, and some poetry.

 

So, I'd say writing, in one form or another has always been a part of my life.


3. What book inspired you to begin writing?

As a kid my favourite books were written by Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton, which often inspired a poem or short story.

 

As a teen, my inspiration came from my love of Point Horror and Point Romance books. I would devour book after book in both series and was always consumed with a desire to create my own characters and worlds after reading.

 

As an adult, there probably wasn't one book that drove me to put pen to paper, rather dozens I've read over the years and fallen in love with. I think my main desire has always been to create characters that feel real and a story that moves the reader.

 

The books I love the most are the ones I develop a deep connection with and read again and again. That's my inspiration and goal when I write now.

 

4. Who is your favorite author?

 Gah! I have soooo many!

 

But... I'll go with my OG favourite Jane Austen. I've read and studied every one of her books and even completed my final dissertation on her and her work at university.


5. If you had to choose a fictional character to have lunch with, who would it be and why?

This in no way is picking favourites because I love all my characters the same!! But for a lunch date I'd have to go with Liss (FMC from the second book in the Unstoppable Series.) She's blunt, smart, witty and comes out with some of the most hilarious one liners. I feel like I'd spend the entire time laughing, which is awesome!

 

6. What has been your biggest accomplishment since publishing?

The road to self-publishing as a newbie was so incredibly overwhelming at times, I wasn't sure I'd even get my first book out! So, my biggest accomplishment so far would have to be hitting that publish button, then seeing people actually buy or download a book I'd written!! That was, and still is, incredibly surreal and absolutely huge for me.

 

7. Do you have anything else in the works apart from your books/series?

 I have SO much planned! I have story concepts and future series ideas coming out of my ears. If I could write 24/7, I'd have ten books published already, but real life (aka kids and husband) has very little respect for my (probably) over-ambitious writing plans!

Next up is the third in my Unstoppable Series. Then in 2022, I have a whole new series planned.

 

8. What advice do you have for aspiring authors?

 Do plenty of research about self-publishing.

 

Watch podcasts, join Facebook groups, make connections with fellow writers and don't be afraid to reach out.

 

The author community is so generous and kind, and always willing to share and support each other. For those times when deadlines are missed or a reader doesn't give such a glowing review, it's great to have a support network in place and people to share experiences with.


9. What advice do you have about marketing and promotion?

Ooh, this is tough!

 

There are so many different approaches to marketing and promotion, and I'm still figuring it all out!

 

I'd say social media is important for engaging with readers and building a dedicated team. Paid ads for getting as many eyes as possible on your books. Then probably most important is nailing the book cover and blurb for your genre/trope to make readers want to pick it up and read it!

 

10. What is a writing goal you have?

 I'd like to increase my writing pace with each book and create a more structured writing schedule. My target next year is to write and publish a new three-book series, plus two standalone novellas.


11. Are you a pantser or plotter?

Both, but mostly pantser.

 

I usually create an outline, so I have some form of direction to follow, but I don't limit myself as my stories tend to develop as I write.

 

12. Do you prefer to write in past or present tense?

Past.

 

Past comes more naturally to me, but the genre I write in tends to be predominantly present. I'm toying with the idea of switching it up for my next series, but I have no idea how that will go!

 

13. Are you traditionally or indie published?

Indie. For me, I love how accessible KDP is and having complete control over my books.

 

14. How many books have you written?

 I have three published and two finished but in need of a re-write.


I also have several outlines waiting and about three thousand snippets, chapters, scenes and/or ideas taking up space in my phone storage! They will eventually become stories, I promise!

 

15. What is your favorite genre and/or trope to write in?

My favourite genre is contemporary, and I have a ton of favourite tropes.

 

If I had to pick one, I'd say enemies to lovers. I love the writing process with this trope, the push and pull, the denial, the shifting emotions, the resistance, and then the sizzling chemistry and acceptance when they finally give in! I love writing that angsty, emotional roller coaster romance.

 

16. Where is your favorite place to write?

At home on the couch! I try to spend time at my desk for the sake of my back and my furniture, but I definitely prefer my bright and airy living room with the big comfy couch. 





Always Mine, the first book in the Westridge series released on July 22nd, 2021.

 

One drink. One night. One ex-boyfriend... and then we go our separate ways. Simple, right?


Not if fate has anything to do with it.


Matthew Davidson stole my heart long before it occurred to me it was something I could lose. I loved him with a passion that consumed me, terrified me... destroyed me.

Believing I was over him was my first mistake. Agreeing to his offer of an innocent drink six years after our relationship crashed and burned was my second.


But how much could one night hurt?


Well, a lot more than I'd bargained for.


When Matt shows up at my sister's wedding a few months later, I'm faced with the prospect of telling him our one-night reunion had lifelong consequences. And then I need to figure out how to let him back into my life without allowing him into my heart.

*Always Mine is a 35k second chance, surprise baby standalone novella. Recommended for readers 17+

 

Pick-up a copy here: https://mybook.to/AlwaysMineBook














No comments: