Pages

Bloglovin'

Followers

Total Page views

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

My Voice; My Impact

I guess I didn't realize that so many people cared what I had to say. It still astounds me to this day that so many people visit my blog daily, weekly or even how many people read the blog posts that show up on my Goodreads feed. Some of you have even surprised me by sending a personal email in response to a newsletter I've sent out. It's amazing to know that people are hearing my voice. People care what I have to say. 

As most of you know by now, I am in an electronic pop duo, DarienMae. We've been making music together for quite a few years now. Recently, we released our first lyric video and something really cool happened. We posted a sneak peek of the video on Instagram and an account with over 19k followers screenshot one of the lyrics from it and re-posted on their own page.  

If you're curious, you can check out the video here:

 

Totally going on a different tangent, but I watched 13 Reasons Why on Netflix recently in it's entirety and it really hit home for me. I've always battled with depression and although I didn't go through anything nearly as tough as Hannah, I've had a tough life. I have been through a lot and seen a lot and I could understand what could drive her to feel so alone and not care about anything anymore. The last episode was really difficult to watch. My brother tried to commit suicide when I was in high school and I thank God everyday he was unsuccessful. The thing is, before he did that we weren't close AT ALL. In fact, when he would call, I would sigh into the phone. I had a hatred for him, and I still to this day don't know why. 

When I found out he tried to kill himself, all I could think about was how I had failed him as a sister. If I had been a better person to him, maybe he wouldn't have ever gone to such an extreme. Maybe he would know there was someone out there who cared about him. We've been close ever since. I don't know if he still battles with the same demons, but it's been about 13 years since all of that went down. I'm thankful we still have him here. I can't imagine what that would have done to my family back then. It would have ripped us apart. 

What I'm getting at here is that when I began writing, I did it because I wanted to be able to tell the story of those among me, or even my past ghosts to show that people can persevere after tragedy. I wanted to be able to tell stories that were relate-able, REAL, and taught a lesson of some kind. In Pieces of Me, the beginning scene is a girl after she's attempted to end her life. It's real, it's raw, it's gritty. I wanted to show that things CAN get better. I draw from all of my life experiences, relationships, and even conversations. A lot of my characters are based on my real life friends and family. Because of this, when someone says they can relate to something I've wrote or they've been through a similar situation, it makes me smile from ear to ear. All I've ever wanted is to be able to touch people with my words. I don't care if that's singing, acting, or writing - it all comes back to one thing: WORDS. 

So world, I am putting it out there. I want to help people with my words. I want to inspire people with my lyrics. I want to travel and write about it! Thank you for caring what I have to say, it gives me hope for a future where my words and my voice will be the shining star.

No comments: