Pages

Bloglovin'

Followers

Total Page views

Sunday, January 17, 2016

So You Want to Self Publish: Stage Ten

STAGE EIGHT: 80% WRITING / 20% PROMOTION

After you write your first book, you are going to want to spread the word about it to the world, am I right? Makes sense. What is important is that you do not lose focus on your writing. In the beginning, while you are building your “back-list” (Library of books you wrote), you want to spend the majority of the time moving on by writing a new book. It sounds strange, doesn’t it? Release a book and then forget about it? I’m not necessarily saying forget about it, I’m just letting you know what has worked for most us Indies in the past.

It was a huge struggle for me after releasing my first two books not to try to promote and shout from the rooftops. But what I learned is that especially for a debut novel, pre-release promotion is the most important step. I will go further into detail on that next chapter, but what I am getting at is that you would do promotion for your debut novel release, it just would not be something that you continually do after the release.

There is a rumor among the indie world that after you have about five books published is when readers start to take notice of you; when your back-list normally begins selling. My sales did jump quite a bit after I reached my first five books, but when you get there – your time frame on promotion and writing, the numbers change, as they should.

2 comments:

Olivia's Catastrophe said...

I never knew this about the self-publishing and how it is all about the pre promotion and passing a certain number of books boosts your sales a little. I'm not considering self publishing but all of this caught my eye!

My recent review: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2016/01/soul-reapers-book-review.html

Krista said...

Hey Olivia-Savannah!

Thanks for stopping by. There are so many small details about the indie world that you only find out after being immersed in it for so long. It is interesting, isn't it?